Lean Foundation Principles for Leaders
In this presentation Darril will share the practices and principles that are essential to Lean Leadership. Based on his work at Toyota the presentation will focus on how alignment with the principles of Continuous Improvement and Respect is a starting point for understanding Lean Culture. Leaders that model and teach the balance of courage and humility can build a culture of continuous improvement that shows the highest level of respect for people. Once organizations align their actions with these principles then excellence is the natural outcome.
In this session you will learn…
- how Toyota went deeper than the production system pillars of Jidoka and Just in Time to describe Lean Leadership.
- the importance of aligning with Lean Principles.
- the deeper meaning of Courage, Humility and Kaizen in the context of Lean Culture.
- what Respect for People means for Lean leaders.
About the Facilitator:
Darril Wilburn was a leader in the development and implementation of some of Toyota Motor Manufacturing’s highest profile leadership development programs. Darril led the Toyota Way 2001 (Toyota core values and principles) implementation at Toyota’s largest manufacturing plant in North America. Darril worked with The Toyota Institute in Japan in development of the Toyota Business Practice (TBP) leading the global pilot of this program as well as the North American Senior Executive sessions. While at Toyota, Darril studied the Toyota Production System as a student of OMDD, Toyota’s internal Sensei group. Darril was also part of the team that launched Toyota Motor Manufacturing Texas where he led the assimilation and training of new to Toyota management.
As a Partner at Honsha.org, Darril has had the opportunity to work with both public and private sector organizations including Costco, MM Mars, Nike, Johnson Controls, The Port of Seattle, Washington State Department of Labor and Industry.
Darril is also an active speaker delivering presentations and keynote speeches on Lean Principles around the globe including:
- Harvard Business Review-Latin America “Lean in Action” lecture series in Chili, Equator, Mexico
- Featured speaker at Lean Conferences in:
- The Netherlands
- Keynote AME Australia 2016
- Keynote Lean Summit, Vilnius, Lithuania 2016
Darril is also co-author and editor of the book, Toyota by Toyota.